Sunday, August 9, 2026

Creative Evolution Ch.1, Sec. 1 — Reflections

1. The central insight: duration

The most important thing I took from this section is that no two moments of perception are ever identical.

This is not merely because the world changes.

It is because the perceiver has changed.

Every experience enters into the person who experiences the next one.

This immediately reminded me of Heraclitus.

You cannot perceive the same object twice because you are no longer the same perceiver.


2. The past survives

Bergson distinguishes between:

  • memories that I can consciously recall

  • the past that continues to exist within me whether I remember it or not.

The whole of my past is not available as recollection.

Yet all of it contributes to who I am now.

This led me to my own formulation:

We do not merely have a history. We are what our history has become.


3. Character as condensation

The line that struck me most was:

"What are we, in fact? What is our character if not the condensation of the history that we have lived from our birth."

This immediately connected with Alistair McFadyen.

McFadyen speaks of identity as the sedimentation of histories of significant relation.

Bergson speaks of condensation.

I began seeing them as complementary.

  • Bergson → temporal formation

  • McFadyen → relational formation


4. Identity is historical

This reinforced my own event ontology.

A person is not a substance carrying around experiences.

A person is an unfolding history.

Every encounter contributes to what the person becomes.

This naturally produced my own cycle:

Encounter → Response → Disclosure → Formation → Next Encounter


5. Judgment

This immediately transformed my understanding of Revelation 20.

Instead of imagining books as external ledgers,

I began wondering:

What if the books are the people?

Not metaphorically.

Ontologically.

If the whole past has condensed into the present person,

then God need not reconstruct a history.

The history stands before Him.


6. Judgment now

This then led to another insight.

Every encounter functions like a status report.

Not because God needs information,

but because the encounter discloses

where the person presently is.

Every encounter becomes a mirror.

Every encounter provides a mirror for those willing to look.


7. Repentance

This changed repentance.

Repentance is no longer balancing a scale.

It is changing one's trajectory.

"I'll repent later" becomes self-deception because

while imagining movement toward repentance,

one is presently practicing becoming someone who postpones repentance.

Hardness of heart becomes understandable as accumulated direction rather than accumulated guilt.


8. Outside time

I also realized something about judgment.

If a person is genuinely duration,

then no single temporal instant can completely contain the person.

Therefore,

true comprehensive judgment cannot simply occur at a point in history.

It must somehow apprehend the duration as a whole.


9. Reading methodology

This discussion clarified my methodology.

I do not want to derive philosophy from Scripture.

Nor do I want philosophy to dictate what Scripture must mean.

Instead:

  1. Develop the ontology philosophically.

  2. Return to Scripture.

  3. Ask whether this ontology allows the text to be taken more seriously rather than explained away.

This avoids repeating what I criticize in substance metaphysics.


10. A possible paper

Out of one section emerged an entire paper:

Bergson and Heraclitus Inside the Apocalypse

Central thesis:

Judgment is not the examination of an external record.

Judgment is the complete disclosure of the person into whom that history has condensed.


What surprised me

Perhaps the biggest surprise was this:

I expected to learn Bergson's philosophy.

Instead,

Bergson became someone I was thinking with rather than merely reading.

His work acted almost like an encounter.

It exposed places where my own ontology could grow.

It also generated entirely new questions that Bergson himself was not trying to answer.

That is probably the strongest indication that the reading has become philosophically productive rather than merely informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Evolution Ch.1, Sec. 2 - Reflections

  1. Bergson's distinction Bergson distinguishes between two kinds of beings. On one side are composite objects : automobiles che...